Genetic purity refers to trueness to type, or the degree of contamination of seeds caused by undesired genetic varieties or species. The success of hybrid seed production is dependent on the genetic purity of parental lines. Both outcrossing and the inadvertent mixing of seed can compromise seed quality, therefore genetic purity tests are critical tools for seed producers and plant breeders.
Eurofins BioDiagnostics utilizes sensitive, sophisticated and powerful technologies to detect the presence of unwanted plant types in hybrid and inbred seed lots. Genetic purity is also used to separate the genetics of hybrids, to determine if contaminating outcrossing has occurred and to identify if segregation has occurred within a plant-breeding line.
We have the capability to employ different methods for genetic purity detection of seed lots. These methods include protein based isozyme electrophoresis, isoelectric focusing (IEF) and DNA-based genetic purity evaluation through the use of SNP markers.
With comprehensive tests and high-throughput capability, we are able to offer rapid turnaround of accurate genetic purity test results.
Genetic purity testing benefits for seed production and distribution
- Confirmation that seed meets genetic purity standards
- Identification of selfing and outcrossing in hybrid seed lots
- Determination of variants, segregation and seed mixes in hybrid or inbred seed production lots
- Variety verification, ensuring that producers and customers receive the variety they expect
Genetic purity testing benefits for breeding programs
- Identification of any outcrossing present in breeder seed lots
- Assurance that high-value inbred selections are genetically pure and free of segregation
- Assurance of the purity of a line prior to the production of foundation seed
- Determination that the breeder seed selection is homozygous
BDI offers Genetic Purity testing for the following crops: