Bacterial Fruit Blotch
Eurofins BioDiagnostics has the capability to test for the bacterial pathogen Acidovorax citrulli (Ac) which causes the disease bacterial fruit blotch (BFB). As all cucurbits are susceptible to this pathogen, infection can potentially lead to significant economic losses in production, ranging up to 90% of marketable yield in watermelon fields. With our testing services, you have the tools you need to make informed decisions regarding crop protection.
We employ the following detection methods:
- Growout - The commonly used method
- Advantage: it can distinguish between pathogenic living cells of Ac and dead cells.
- PCR - Confirmation
- Suspects can be further confirmed using a pathogenicity test.
- Seed-Wash PCR - Prescreening
- Use of seed-wash PCR as a “prescreening” method to make rapid decisions before continuing with the Grow-out
- Utilizes National Seed Health System (NSHS) protocols
Let's start the conversation
Additional seed health services: