Group Leadership Philosophy
(How the Group Operating Council Leads/Organizes Eurofins)
Eurofins is a decentralized non-bureaucratic fast-moving group of entrepreneur-led businesses. Group Operating Council members/Division leaders behave as shareholders towards the Presidents of Eurofins businesses and:
- Set the framework in which leaders of Group companies can succeed:
- Put businesses together that address one homogenous market (local or global depending on clients‘ decision-making level) and that is large enough to be efficient under one leader; an empowered and accountable President/Managing Director who sets the strategy for his/her business along with an ambitious vision.
- Get out of the way
- Provide support as required
- Select, develop & retain the best leaders
- Encourage a value-creation-based meritocracy
- Reward progress in Economic Profit (EP) growth by sharing value creation with outstanding leaders.
- Allocate capital according to EP/ROCE growth
- Rules of the game include full transparency & common financial systems/policies
Behaviour and competencies expected from Eurofins leaders
Define & communicate a clear vision and strategy
- Develop an exciting customer-centric vision of the future - think big.
- Develop strategies to facilitate accomplishment of the vision.
- Use various means of communication to ensure people know the vision & strategy.
- Hold team discussions to check and improve the understanding of the vision & strategy.
Set ambitious goals based on strategy & vision
- Set up action plans with a clear-cut distribution of responsibilities.
- Take obstacles away so that people can implement the strategy.
- Set goals that are consistent with the vision & strategy. (people know how they can contribute at the operational level)
- Keep goals simple, focus, always maintain a consistent course.
- CUSTOMER OBSESSION
Be a trusted and reliable partner to their customers
- Work with a passion to exceed customer expectations and earn their trust.
- Systematically solicit feedback and strive to continuously improve the customer's experience.
- Encourage their teams to share knowledge with customers and help them achieve their goals.
- HIRE THE BEST
Attract, develop and retain star performers
- Deploy enormous energy and time to find and hire the best.
- Raise the performance bar with every hire and promotion.
- Recognise exceptional talent and give them roles with true team leadership.
- Make sure that high performers enjoy and contribute to their best.
Inspire passion to achieve excellent performance
- Demonstrate a strong drive for high-quality output.
- Set the highest standards and always deliver more than what is required.
- Create positive tension to get the most out of people.
- Always expect and recognize high performance.
Empower & motivate their teams
- Create or influence an environment in which people perform, grow, contribute and enjoy.
- Show trust in people.
- Care about people’s motivations.
- Allow people to implement their own ideas.
- Challenge people in constructive ways.
Ensure strategies are implemented
- Monitor progress on critical actions and metrics/KPIs. Quickly become hands-on if things derail.
- Implement decisions fast and effectively.
- Stay connected to details and dive deep into the business when needed. No task is below them.
- RESULTS & OWNERSHIP
Deliver profitable & sustainable growth
- Relentlessly explore ways to improve existing business returns.
- Provide financial support for high-impact ideas.
- Maintain a balanced view of bottom line short-term goals and innovative, long-term growth.
- Be very cost conscious. Spend the Company’s resources frugally like their own.
Encourage pro-activity and initiative
- Show strong bias for action.
- Are metrics-based but prepared to decide without exhaustive analysis – many decisions are reversible.
- Know that speed of action matters.
- Value intuition and calculated risk-taking.
- BE A ROLE MODEL
Lead by example and earn trust
- Demonstrate a strong drive for excellent output.
- Stay focused, keep it simple and consistent.
- Listen attentively, speak candidly and treat others respectfully.
- Be clear on expectations, direction and requirements.
- Walk the talk, show commitment.
- Show integrity and credibility – be tenacious.
- Be frugal. Accomplish more with less.
- Have backbone. Disagree and challenge when not convinced but once a final decision is taken, commit fully.
- INITIATE CHANGE
Initiate and drive change in an uncertain future
- Always question the status quo (Can we do better? Is there another way?).
- Spot opportunities very quickly.
- Come up with alternatives, creative solutions to unmet needs, problems and demands.
- Form a culture that supports change and innovation.
Enable/promote the building of an internal network to optimise business opportunities
- Act on behalf of the whole Company beyond just their own team.
- Constantly seek to pull in high potential people from outside the team and facilitate/promote their best team members throughout the Group.
- Encourage cross-functional, cross-business teamwork.